Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Cut Altec

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member bowtie427ss's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 24th, 2006
    Location
    Rural NY
    Posts
    3,901
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

    Re: Cut Altec

    I don't think they look too bad. It looks like they were cut straight with a saw that's meant to cut aluminum. I don't think the structural integrity would be compromised enough to worry about either, given the way they're mounted to the cabinet. I've seen them cut worse before in auctions.
    As heathen like as it sounds, a sharp 60 or 80 tooth blade on a table saw would make those cuts and leave a very clean finish.

    In case you're wondering, i'd choose 2 opposing bolt holes(between the spokes, keep the holes at the ends of the spokes for mounting) for the centerline of the woofer. Then, i'd determine my desired overall width from truncation to truncation and draw a line on the table of my saw exactly half that distance from the inside of the blade and parallel to it. I'd use that line to locate my woofers, just center the bolt holes used to form a centerline over the line on the table at a point where the bolt hole in the portion you're going to cut off is about centered over the saw shaft. I'd clamp the woofer in place, start the saw, and raise the blade up far enough to complete the cut. Drain, rinse, and repeat as necessary.

    If you don't have blown 515's to re-cone then this is a great "cost effective" solution that doesn't involve any cutting and you get the sound quality of 515's which beat out 421's (for many applications) IMHO......
    .......... and it overcomes that whole fitment thing.

    Plus, i'm a bass freak. I'll gladly compromise a bit of the original 515's midrange magic for the solid extension of the 515B's.
    Not all vegetables make good leaders.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Re: Cut Altec

    Then opt for the 515E.

    GM
    Loud is Beautiful if it's Clean! As always though, the usual disclaimers apply to this post's contents.

  3. #3
    Hostboard Member kinomat's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 30th, 2009
    Location
    Mississauga ON. CANADA
    Posts
    32
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Cut Altec

    I think cutting an Altec speaker frame is an unthinkable act, please don't. Many moons ago when confronted with the same situation,vertical slots were cut on each side of the enclosure from the speaker mounting board to the back 1.5" wide and 9" height. that way I was successful in getting the new 16" frames to fit, from memory the mounting ctrs were the same & inside frame to frame was no problem. you then have to make appropriate caps to cover those openings. I suggest making two 16" cardboard templates with mounting holes and check out, it was about 25 yrs ago for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.